Sign in to follow this  
JohnyD

Russia 2018

Well, half of the tornament is gone and we never amde a thread.

Do you like it?

Most of the favourites and campions are gone. Italy and Holland didnt even assist. Former champions Argentina, Germany, Spain are out.

France and Brasil are in the next phase and England can do it.

Portugal is out.

From the big teams we have only three.

We can even have a totally new champion.

What team de you think will be the champion this time?

• Like 1

I think that the tournament has been pretty fun so far. Lots of goals and exciting matches, especially in the last two days with all the penalty shootouts, but i honestly can't stand what they are doing with VAR. Its use has been so subjective that its is getting ridiculous, there are no clear guidelines on when it should be used so i feel like that many times, referees just refuse to look at it as it would be as though they are doubting themselves. 

I was also pretty bummed that Italy didn't qualify, but Colombia has been a nice surprise, as well as Japan.

Yes VAR should be like cameras in other sports and with somoene watching %100 of time, but I think has been very helpful and reduced a lot of mistakes.

Japan was a real surprise, and Mexico at least in the first phase.

Since Brasil is alive, I think the will reach the finals, they already won 5 tournaments and since others like Germany or Spain are out, I would choose Brasil as champion, thier 6th cup.

Croatia, Japan, Sweden did a great job this time.

Posted (edited)

I was feeling bad because Germany is out but.. I can't deny one thing; The matches have been more exciting. 

Just now, JohnyD said:

Italy and Holland didnt even assist. Former champions Argentina, Germany, Spain are out.
Portugal is out.

Yes and that make this exciting.

Edited by 42O

On 7/2/2018 at 5:17 PM, JohnyD said:

Yes VAR should be like cameras in other sports and with somoene watching %100 of time, but I think has been very helpful and reduced a lot of mistakes.

Japan was a real surprise, and Mexico at least in the first phase.

VAR is helpful but there is no consistency on how it is used, that's my point. For example, in the Serbia - Swiss game, there was an obvious penalty and the ref refused to look at VAR despite being warned from the VAR room, same for Croatia when they were denied a red card against Denmark after their player was fouled in front of an empty goal. Both of those situations could have affected the outcome of the match, but were ignored because refs look bad if they doubt their initial decisions.

They need to incorporate something similar to Challenges in tennis, and allow both teams to ask for VAR review one or two times per match. This would get rid of sketchy situations, give equal treatment to everyone and reduce the dependency on refs discretion in using VAR.