GameNader's 3rd Giveaway! 50$ Gift cards and more! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Melissa Stephen

Video-Games becoming boring and suggestions?

First of all, hi! I've just joined, as you can see from my profile. I don't usually post in forums like these, but I'm trying it now.

So, I've been playing video-games since I was a kid. My tastes have changed over time. I used to play first person shooters. Now I don't. At the moment, I prefer the feeling of immersion and exploration when I drop off into a RPG game. I don't use anything other than my PC to play games (excluding mobile phone). The problem is, games are becoming dull for me. Say I get a new one. I load it up, really interested in it from the trailer. Here it is, there goes the introduction. "Holy shit, this is amazing!" I exclaim and get engaged for a good 5 or 6 hours. After that time, I really reconsider my actions. "How did I find this enjoyable at all? What is so special about it? Where's the fun?"

I get bored easily. Even outside video-games. I might be excited about any game I get, but the interest slowly withdraws to the point of boredom. I find many things repetitive. (I play RPGs, so no surprise there). I recently (re)finished Mass Effect 3. Even though I had played it before, it was still fun to go through the experience again. I made different choices now, so it was fun. And a second ago I complained about repetitive stuff. I hope you don't take it the wrong way, I'm real picky about games. So, please don't take offense if you suggest a game which I am not interested in.

Games I like:

Mass Effect Trilogy.

Mount & Blade: Warband.

Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris, and so on. (Most Paradox titles).

Sorcery! (Yeah, I know it's weird as shit to insert this into such a list).

Assassin's Creed Series.

The Banner Saga 1 and 2.

Overfall.

That's all about it. I'm sorry, I might be asking for a lot. Thanks in advance.

the problem is your list

try this list for starters and keep in mind you are asking for help on this, not me, i enjoy gaming.

Space Engineers

Medieval Engineers

7 Days to Die

Imperium Galactic Survival

The Forest

Subnautica

Life is Feudal

Stranded Deep

From the Depths

Kerbal Space Program

StarMade

Another Brick in the Mall

Elite Dangerous

Cities Skylines

Planet Coaster

Kenshi

RimWorld

Hospitalize

Kingdoms

Wurm Unlimited

My Summer Car

Banished

Out of Reach

Project Highrise

2 minutes ago, Melissa Stephen said:

@Mathew George: Oh, yeah, forgot Space Engineers existed. I'll give it a go if I can. Thanks.

What's the problem with my list, if I may ask?

no building or crafting.

making for limited game play

I think your problem is variety. I love RPGs too, but I can get put off by the endless grind. Try stuff that is out of your comfort zone, platformers, adventure games, strategy games. There's probably too many to list seeing as how games that are a few years old age well on PC, but just browse reviews, online sales, try out Steam's discovery queue.

Just now, Vohaci Duci said:

I think your problem is variety. I love RPGs too, but I can get put off by the endless grind. Try stuff that is out of your comfort zone, platformers, adventure games, strategy games. There's probably too many to list seeing as how games that are a few years old age well on PC, but just browse reviews, online sales, try out Steam's discovery queue.

exactly.

I know this is true because I went thru the same thing.

First I avoided indies because I figured if there was no hype it must not be better. I was wrong

Then I avoided simple graphics games because I thought it would be too distracting, again I was wrong.

trying new venues is a good thing. In fact on that note I should try FPS again. I havent done a pure FPS is ages

If you bored with gaming stop for a while and do other stuff.

I have had several spells of going a few months hardly playing any games, then I can spot something I like the look of and become a recluse playing it.

If your not going to do other stuff I'll recommend Dark Souls franchise, its hit or miss with people but when its a hit its a massive hit.

@Melissa Stephen . I Have A Same Problem . Most Of The Times Certain Point And Click Games Get Me In The Mood. Some Times Sega Genesis Games Gets Me Excited.

If you bored with gaming stop for a while and do other stuff.

I have had several spells of going a few months hardly playing any games, then I can spot something I like the look of and become a recluse playing it.

If your not going to do other stuff I'll recommend Dark Souls franchise, its hit or miss with people but when its a hit its a massive hit.

@Kejanu: "Keep making excuses."

Nice one bud. Let me remind you that I'm choosing a video-game suited for my playstyle which shouldn't concern you at all. What's truly "LOL" is "those excuses" are my preferences and I am not obligated to like a game which you like. Keep that in mind next time you post something so thoughtless, will ya?

@Tago Wosin: Thanks. I think it's the fact that I'm burning out due to how much I play video-games. On several occasions, I have left a game on my desktop for a few months and when I returned to it, looked like a complete new experience.

Just now, Melissa Stephen said:

@Tago Wosin: Thanks. I think it's the fact that I'm burning out due to how much I play video-games. On several occasions, I have left a game on my desktop for a few months and when I returned to it, looked like a complete new experience.

No, the fact that you refuse to try anything new is why you "are getting bored", preferences are one thing, but completely ignoring other genres is just ignorant.

I have lost interest with gaming a bit myself, I think it just takes a really good release to come out and reinterest you. I also have gone back to playing older titles which I have fond memories of, which has helped get me back into it a bit. 

i have felt the same thing, when you know the truth and are mindful of the time you are spending on gaming with no real tangible reward; it just isn't the same

On 4/3/2018 at 4:55 AM, Johnbelley said:

i have felt the same thing, when you know the truth and are mindful of the time you are spending on gaming with no real tangible reward; it just isn't the same

Yeah that's a big factor for me. I'll play something and see my entire day go down the drain and have instant regret afterwards because I could have done something more productive that would help my future. 

I have felt the same thing, when you know the truth and are mindful of the time you are spending on gaming with no real tangible reward; it just isn't the same!

The problem is you can't necessarily expect a noticeable improvement after just 1 month, these things take time. I have actually seen the most improvement after the 90 days. Another thing I don't know what you did in those 30 days but you can't quit gaming and expect things to suddenly change you have to put in effort with new hobbies and push yourself. For example I could just watch more TV after quitting gaming and after 30 days I would say that I don't notice much of a difference. What did you do in those 30 days instead of gaming out of interest? And good luck if you do decide to commit to the 90 days again.

I get the same. I quit for 118 days last year and ever since have not regressed to playing a lot. I mainly go on Rocket League as the games only last 5 mins and a good amount of my mates play. Keep it up!