Sign in to follow this  
erik

enjoy playing scary games?

I think there's more to it than that. More often than not, horror games have great stories and/or present an immersive experience that is so unlike anything a gamer will ever experience in reality. The survival element is huge in most horror games which forces players to be more calculated and precise. So in some ways they can just be more challenging, too xD

God, i started playing 2 last night and its great, except that first major "psycho" she can go rot in hell. Love how beautiful the forest areas are though, they really did a fantastic job

Posted (edited)
Just now, Azal said:

God, i started playing 2 last night and its great, except that first major "psycho" she can go rot in hell. Love how beautiful the forest areas are though, they really did a fantastic job

Is it as terrifying as the first one? I'll probably watch a let's play of both of them at some point.

Edited by erik

I dunno, it feels a lot more open even if a lot of it is fenced off, theres a ton more gore, like a ridiculous amount. Hard to really say, maybe a little bit less scary because of the setting but the psychopaths have been on point so far

Just now, Azal said:

I dunno, it feels a lot more open even if a lot of it is fenced off, theres a ton more gore, like a ridiculous amount. Hard to really say, maybe a little bit less scary because of the setting but the psychopaths have been on point so far

After reading a little bit about it, it sounds like a worthy follow-up.

The early 3D FPS games before I had a graphics card were creepy AF because you couldn't adjust the brightness. Quake was creepy. But to this day the scariest game to play is Bioshock at night with the lights out and the volume on surround cranked up.

Resident Evil is my favourite game franchise, so I do have a love for horror games. I tend to play through them incredibly slow as my head can't take much of them but I do enjoy them and play quite a few. I still want to play Until Dawn which seems like the best horror of this generation. 

1 minute ago, IntoxNitram said:

Resident Evil is my favourite game franchise, so I do have a love for horror games. I tend to play through them incredibly slow as my head can't take much of them but I do enjoy them and play quite a few. I still want to play Until Dawn which seems like the best horror of this generation. 

Oh man i would love to play Until Dawn, i wish they made a PC port for it. I remember watching those no commentary gameplay videos when it first came out and i was hooked. Same goes for Heavy Rain.

My all time favorite franchise is Silent Hill. Any other SH lovers out there?

Just now, EchelonBrk said:

Oh man i would love to play Until Dawn, i wish they made a PC port for it. I remember watching those no commentary gameplay videos when it first came out and i was hooked. Same goes for Heavy Rain.

My all time favorite franchise is Silent Hill. Any other SH lovers out there?

Yes I was massively looking forward to Silent Hills and seeing what Konami could do with the series, its a shame it got cancelled as it was looking extremely good. 

Just now, IntoxNitram said:

Yes I was massively looking forward to Silent Hills and seeing what Konami could do with the series, its a shame it got cancelled as it was looking extremely good. 

I was devastated when i saw it was canceled. Even more so now that Kojima left and the entire series is in a limbo and probably done for good. That is, unless they make a bull***t title like that did with MSG: Survive. :D

What are your thoughts on Death Stranding tho?

1 minute ago, EchelonBrk said:

I was devastated when i saw it was canceled. Even more so now that Kojima left and the entire series is in a limbo and probably done for good. That is, unless they make a bull***t title like that did with MSG: Survive. :D

What are your thoughts on Death Stranding tho?

Honestly, it looks interesting but I have literally no idea what it is. It just seems so confusing? No coherent story being told across the trailers that I can see. But I trust Kojima and think the game will turn out great. 

11 hours ago, IntoxNitram said:

Honestly, it looks interesting but I have literally no idea what it is. It just seems so confusing? No coherent story being told across the trailers that I can see. But I trust Kojima and think the game will turn out great. 

Oh yeah, it is definitely confusing but that is the beauty of it.Have you noticed in the trailer where Guillermo is running under the bridge and into the sewers, the solders passing overhead are in WW2 gear but the ones in the sewers are all high tech? Makes me guess it'll probably have something to do with different dimensions or timetravel. Plus those "otherwold" scenes are crazy :D

I read somewhere that you are supposed to watch both trailers simultaneously and that way you get a better understanding. That reminds me of David Lynch and new Twin Peaks.

I've always loved games that provide a strong sense of immersion, and horror games almost always do that better than any other type of game for me. I think there are several reasons for this.

A well made horror game is better than a well made horror movie as I am a part of it. I loved the Dead Space series for example. They are so good. Alien Isolation is another superb example. Basically I like to feel anxious/scared/stressed/fearful by choice.

9 hours ago, Johnbelley said:

I've always loved games that provide a strong sense of immersion, and horror games almost always do that better than any other type of game for me. I think there are several reasons for this.

For me the most immersive experience i had was while playing Silent Hill 2. I was so anxious and focused that i wasn't even blinking :D

Especially during the Apartments level :D

I haven’t tried horror games, they look pretty cool. I tend to play games alone and at night so that might help with the immersion of the game, but my luck I wouldn’t be able sleep. 

I love good horror games, they have something special that make them more inmersive.

Aside obvious choices as Resident Evil, Sillent Hill, a really good game is a Game Cube hidden gem, Eternal Darkness, that game is totally lovcraftian, I am still waiting for a remake of the game.

Dark Souls. It's a different kind of fear to something like Amnesia. Strangely it feels less manufactured.

It's identical to horror movies, except the thing is actually chasing you as a character, not some actor. To be honest you're probably much more scared of these games than most people that love them are. I just played through Among the Sleep in the dark. Fun and fairly scary game.

I don't generally. I like actually scary tension and anticipation, but most horror games I've tried are just irritating jump scares. I like to be scared, not startled. A sudden loud noise can be startling, but it isn't scary, its just a natural response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joshua said:

I don't generally. I like actually scary tension and anticipation, but most horror games I've tried are just irritating jump scares. I like to be scared, not startled. A sudden loud noise can be startling, but it isn't scary, its just a natural response.

Totally agree with you on this. This perfectly describes 90% of today's movies and games, its more about jumpscares and sudden loud noises then feelings of anxiety and dread. Famous youtubers gained popularity by screaming at top of their lungs when something jumped in front of them and developers took it as a sign that they should develop horror in that direction.

Whoever played older horror titles would know that when something scary is happening in a game (for example, Resident Evil's first encounter with the zombie or Silent Hill's scene where Pyramid head is raping the mannequins) your reaction would not be to scream but to wait in confusion and fear, and hope that the thing in front of you does not notice you as soon as the scene ends.

Now that is horror and not Five Nights at Freddy's bullcr*p, where all you do is wait around to press the wrong button and have the automaton scream and get you.

/rantover

I play them for the emotional high. The rush that I feel when a monster comes running at me and I can't pull up a weapon and throw it back into the darkness, it's that sort of adrenaline rush you find in a horror game.

I really like the last point you make about the "reinventing" themselves. I completely agree and it ties the whole debate nicely back towards the actual art of the games, the stuff I will hopefully eventually be creating.

My friend, if you ever want to make a horror game, here is all you need to do; imagine a twisted situation in which a normal human would not be in for it's strange and often insane atmosphere and story, then place a human in it.