Sign in to follow this  
erik

enjoy playing scary games?

You hit the nail on the head. The game I am currently making artwork for is a post apocalyptic game but instead of using zombies as the monster which several of my other class mates have decided to do, I have used "Nightmares".

• Like 1

Nightmares? I don't know why but this made me think of humans fighting over those five hour energy bottles you can get."MUST STAY AWAKE! DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!" As they tear the bottle away from an unarmed looter.How is it coming along?

• Like 1

Exactly what I was hoping for haha! So far so good! I am only in the very early stages. Gathering my primary and secondary reference points, doing some photoshoots to gather character reference and clothing inspiration

One factor linking them? Why not make them all have a shadowy tint to them or something? Like they are constantly basked in shadow. (I don't know, bad idea.)

That was one of the ideas that I had, I wanted to see if I could make them out of shadows. So they took the shape of different fears, spiders for example. I felt that this would give the feeling that they were always there, looming over the characters.

Although I have never played the game and only heard about it in passing, I think the whole psychological torment thing was a keystone of the game, Darkest Dungeon, I am not saying that you can't use it but the old saying about great artists comes to mind, does it not?

I will take a look at both those games, thanks for the advice. I have heard both of their names but never looked into them.

From the two games I mentioned, I only played Spec Ops and I will tell you this, it can be classed as a horror game if you are one of the lenient type of gamer. I mean, a horror game is a game that's main purpose, for lack of a better definition, is to create a feeling of negative emotion for it's own purpose and Spec Ops ticks that definition. I mean, yeah, it almost made me cry and I didn't even flinch at Marley and Me.

It took me a while but I am on board with the sandwich analogy now; I get it haha! One of my favourite parts of my brief is that the environment that I am basing the game on is actually just one annexed city

Hey, just about any analogy with food in it is a good analogy because it is the easiest thing to relate to.An annexed city? What is the city being annexed by? Or have I forgotten what the word "annexed" means.Well with a small location, you have an easier time putting a lot of character into the world, probably even put a lot more hidden stories than in that new Mad Max game or whatever.

8 hours ago, Liam said:

You hit the nail on the head. The game I am currently making artwork for is a post apocalyptic game but instead of using zombies as the monster which several of my other class mates have decided to do, I have used "Nightmares".

8 hours ago, Noah said:

Nightmares? I don't know why but this made me think of humans fighting over those five hour energy bottles you can get."MUST STAY AWAKE! DON'T WANT TO GO BACK!" As they tear the bottle away from an unarmed looter.How is it coming along?

Very interesting discussion guys, but lets not wander off topic too much. Feel free to post under Creative Corner subforum and share your ideas, as i would love to hear more about your game. 

I don't enjoy playing them, but I do enjoy watching others play them, especially live streams on Twitch with face cams. I love to see people scare themselves shitless.