Team Sonic Racing Is Coming To Consoles This Winter – Watch The Trailer!
SEGA recently announced that Team Sonic Racing will release to consoles and PC this winter. Developed by Sumo Digital, this brand-new racing experience promises fast-paced action, phenomenal graphics, and some of your favorite Sonic characters behind the wheel of cool, customizable vehicles. Does the formula sound a lot like Mario Kart, but with SEGA characters? Yes. Will people still buy and play this game? Absolutely.
It has been forever since Nintendo released a new Mario Kart game. Mario Kart 8 released to the Wii U way back in 2014 and the game was ported, with a few improvements, to the Nintendo Switch in 2017. With its array of fantastic courses, recognizable characters, and unique options, it's an amazing game. Having purchased the game for both the Wii U and the Switch, I can tell you that it is one of the most replayable games out there. But, even Mario Kart 8 can start to feel a little stale. I've mastered all of the courses, experimented with every route, and unlocked nearly everything (except a few amiibo outfits from amiibos I don't own). It's time for a new Mario Kart.
But, since that announcement hasn't happened yet, I'm thrilled about Team Sonic Racing. It appears to follow much of the same Mario Kart formula, but it's available for PS4 and Xbox One, instead of being Nintendo exclusive. It also has some pretty cool features like "Adventure Mode" (story mode), lots of items, characters with different racing styles, and the ability to play as a team. The team feature is a welcome addition for those that have ruined friendships and relationships through Mario Kart competition. Now, instead of red shelling your competition a split-second before they cross the finish line, you can simply be angry at your friends and family for ruining things for the whole team. Overall, this looks like a solid addition to the character racing genre.
"Team Sonic Racing lets fans speed through vibrant circuits from the Sonic Universe as Sonic, Shadow, Tails, and more while taking part in an electrifying multiplayer racing competition. Compete solo or play with up to 12 drivers online in various exhilarating single and multiplayer game modes, including Grand Prix, Time Trial, Team Adventure and more. With unique character types, game modes, and car customization options, Team Sonic Racing blends the best elements of racing games."
- Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes – 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline/online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
- Team Racing – Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization – Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode – Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Types – 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power.
Team Sonic Racing comes to PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC (digital version only) this winter.
Watch the full reveal trailer below: